Saturday, December 4, 2010

changing tires

I was driving back home an hour ago when suddenly my car hit a huge bump, like a speed bump except on a major street, right next to a light. For a split second my car was literally in midair. When it crashed back down to earth my first thought was "FUCK!". After that I started wondering why there was an ambulance leaving 100 feet away. I kept driving. 100 feet later I noticed my car making some funny sounds, so I pulled over right before the 10 freeway. My right front tire was completely flat! The hubcap was bent at the point where it had contacted the bump and I was pretty much just driving on metal.

Maybe I should keep going, I thought. No, that's a stupid fucking idea. So I turned around and stopped at the gas station across the street. Not knowing what to do, I called the friends I just left and asked them for help. When I called, I asked if they had a AAA membership and if I could use it. For whatever reason I a) didn't think I had a spare tire, b) even if I had a spare tire, (and if I did I had a vague idea of where to find it) I doubted I had the tools necessary to replace the tire. Apparently these things are in all cars, ready to go. Somehow I didn't get the memo...

Sidenote: it's funny how sometimes your ignorance is upset so suddenly, almost like a paradigm shift. It simply wasn't in my worldview (too strong?) to see if I could replace the tire; I vaguely suspected I wouldn't have the parts, etc. And then my friend asks me a few questions and I realize- wait, I don't need AAA???

Luckily I wasn't far away so some friends came and helped me change the tire, as I was clearly completely ignorant on how this strange ritual works. Well, let me tell you, it does. I would've been screwed if it hadn't been for them, they were extremely cool about having to help me out at 1 in the morning. And now I will know that I have all the tools and some of the knowhow to do it myself next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment