Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jobs.

I hate looking for a job. It's literally my least favorite thing to do. I hate working on resumes, I hate talking to recruiters, I hate dressing up and interviewing.

More than anything, though, I hate condensing myself into someone who is good for only one job. Folding myself into this 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper that tells you everything you need to know except the most important things. But baby, if you fold it right it might fly.

Seriously though, does anyone feel that specialization has gone too far? I'm anti-specialization. Definitely, the amount of knowledge out there is so vast that we need experts. Sure, I buy that. But should we hire based on your level of expertise, or on your potential? It all goes towards the structure of education.

More and more, higher education is the place where you go to pick up the specific skills needed for your field. Used to be that all a higher education did was made you more sophisticated, a critical and diverse thinker. Then, based on your ability as a thinker, you would be hired, and on the job you would gain the expertise needed in your field.

But now higher education is like everything else. A factory. Assembly line 1 produces musicians. Line 2 produces doctors. Etc.

Why not have the totality of our being inform our jobs? I feel like that still exists... somewhere. But I don't know where.

No comments:

Post a Comment